Monday, January 23, 2017

Chopsticks and All Their Glory (Blog #3)

My family and I love our fair share of Asian foods ranging from Japanese, Chinese, Vietnamese, Filipino, Indian, and Thai food. I noticed that every time we go out to eat, we usually lean towards Asian options. We were eating delicious ramen and my brother was having difficulty using his chopsticks and eventually gave up. So, I asked my parents if they knew when chopsticks came about and why. But, they didn't and we ended up having fun guessing why we think some of Asian cultures use chopsticks. I decided to actually learn the history of chopsticks and found a link on history.com (http://www.history.com/news/hungry-history/a-brief-history-of-chopsticks ) which I was totally surprised to find. It is estimated that the Chinese have been using chopsticks since around 1200 BC. Chopsticks were made out of bronze or other precious metals that could withstand boiling water. They were generally used for cooking and around 400 AD, they were used as eating utensils. The most interesting fact shared on this site is that in Japan, chopsticks were 8 inches long for men and 7 inches long for women. Happy eating everyone!

No comments:

Post a Comment